Apple Pie made with fresh apples makes me think of cool fall nights and family time. It’s always a hit at Thanksgiving and is a fall staple for many people. I make my apple pie every year at least a few times and my family always has to have a slice! This past year I made this Apple Pie Recipe so much that I have memorized it to the letter!
I decided after some encouragement from my friends, coworkers, and family to share this great fall recipe with you. It’s not hard and as long as you follow the recipe you will be making a wonderful pie for your family and friends in no time.
Disclosure: the following does contain affiliate links if you click on them and make a purchase I get a commission. I am only recommending products I use.
Products I use to make the pie:
Amazing Apple Pie Recipe
If you need a gluten-free crust check out this Gluten-free/vegan pie crust
Apple Pie Recipe with Fresh ApplesCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
Apple Pie Recipe Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 tsp Cinnamon
or try this Gluten-free/vegan pie crust
5 large apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for garnish
1 egg (optional)
- Crumble Topping
1 cup flour
1 stick of butter cut into pieces
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
- The Crust
- In a large bowel combine flour, sugar salt and cinnamon cut the shortening into the mix. (If you have a food processor use it or do this by hand. I have done both and they turn out the same.) It should eventually have the texture of wet sand.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of water over the mixture, keep sprinkling 1 tsp at a time until the mixture comes together and you can knead the dough with your hands.
- Form the dough into a ball then split in half and form each into its own ball. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour. (dough can sit for up to 3 days)
- Preheat the oven to 375 when you are reading to start making your pie.
- Apple Pie Filling
- Cut apples by hand or with an apple peeler. (I use this apple peeler)
- Mix egg, sugars, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add apples and mix until they are coated in the mixture.
- Crumble Topping
- In a bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup light brown sugar, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and cinnamon.
- Cut 1 1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter into pieces. With your hands, work in butter pieces, until large clumps form.
- Divide mixture in half; freeze in plastic storage bags if not using all of it.
- Put your Apple Pie together
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and place it on a floured surface. Dust your rolling pin with flour. Then roll the dough out until it fits your pie plate. You want to make sure your dough it even. You can cut the edges of the dough off the pie plate if needed.
- Once you have your dough placed in your pie pan add the apple filling. The filling should overfill your pie plate. It will reduce when cooking.
- Sprinkle your crumb topping on top of the apple filling.
- Place in the oven for 45 minutes. If topping starts to brown too quickly place aluminum foil over top.
- Serve any way you like. I love to whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream!
- Did you try my apple pie recipe with fresh apples? Share your thoughts below. Don’t forget to check out my other recipes.